About KSU Summer Horn Festival
Apply and Register
- Warmup Classes
- Horn Choir
- Orchestral Excerpt Plug & Play Class
- Solo Recitals
- Mock Orchestral Audition (optional)
- Solo Competition (optional)
Each accepted full participant will be assigned to one 30-minute masterclass time, quartet, and horn choir part based on the applicant’s audition video. All events are taught by 2019 guest artist Frøydis Ree Wekre in addition to members of the KSU horn faculty, John Gough of Elemental Brass, Ion Balu of Balu Musik, and members of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Opera Orchestra, and Atlanta Ballet Orchestra. Masterclass instructors are Frøydis Ree Wekre, Jason Eklund, and Richard Williams.
- Dates: Saturday, June 8 - Tuesday, June 11, 2019
9am – 8pm daily
- Tuition: $300 covers the cost of all events, an event t-shirt, lunch each day, and dinner
each day except Tuesday, June 11
- Location: Kennesaw State University School of Music – Kennesaw, GA
Dr Bobbie Bailey & Family Performance Center
488 Prillaman Way
Kennesaw, GA 30144
- Parking: All participants should park in Lot E on the KSU Campus.
To use GPS navigation, enter: Parking Lot E, Kennesaw, GA 30144
- Housing: Although housing is not provided, the university is near multiple hotels. The following link contains a list of nearby hotels and dining options: KSU Visitors Guide.
Please Note: The university is not responsible for any housing or activities outside of the scheduled events. No transportation is provided to or from hotels.
Ways to Participate:
1) Full Participant ($300) – open to rising high-school freshmen through graduate students. Includes access to all activities. Students are assigned to a quartet, one 30-minute masterclass time, horn choir, and eligibility to participate in the mock orchestral audition and solo competition. Tuition includes all instructional costs, an event t-shirt, lunch each day, and dinner each day except for the last evening, Tuesday, June 11. (We encourage all students to join us for a celebratory dinner outing this evening after the closing recital.) This registration option is perfect for students looking to hone their performance skills in a welcoming and collegial environment with an instructional staff of accomplished performing artists.
2) Auditor ($150) – open to hornists of any age or level of development. Includes access to observe all activities and play in the daily warmup class. Auditor registration also includes vendor shopping as well as admission to evening recitals. Different tiers of auditor registration allow for a customized experience with options to add meals and purchase an event t-shirt. This is the perfect option for professionals and enthusiasts looking to hone instructional techniques from one of the greatest teachers of our generation. This option is also perfect for students who want to observe and learn from an accomplished artist faculty but may not feel quite ready to perform in front of large groups.
3) Single-Day Auditors are also welcome for $75 payable at the registration table in cash or check written to ‘KSU School of Music’ and for ‘KSU Summer Horn Festival’ in the Memo line.”
More information about both registration options can be found under the Registration tab.