Admissions and Auditions Information
Thank you for your interest in the School of Music at Kennesaw State University!
How to Apply
All students applying to become either a Major or a Minor in the School of Music must complete an audition for the faculty.We offer three degree programs and a minor:
The Bachelor of Music in Performance is intended for students who wish study all aspects of performance and who intend to pursue graduate study and careers as performers. Concentrations are available in instrumental, jazz, piano, and vocal performance.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education is intended for students wish to teach elementary (general) music, or middle school or high school band, orchestra, or choir.
The Bachelor of Arts in Music is intended for students who desire a more liberal arts music degree with concentrations in composition, ethnomusicology, musicology, or music theory.
Directions for completing your music application:
1. Apply to KSU at admissions.kennesaw.edu
2. Complete the online application for the School of Music
3. Attach or include A brief (300-500 word) essay that describes the reasons why you have chosen to pursue a degree in your particular area of interest (i.e., performance, music education, composition, ethnomusicology, music theory, or musicology). Include a description of your career aspirations and how your degree will help you reach them.
4. Attach or include a complete Résumé and Repertoire list that includes the following:
All ensembles you have participated in, significant solo performances, musicals, operas, teaching experience, etc.
A list of all significant pieces you have studied and/or performed. Label those that you have from memory with an “M”, and those that you have performed with a “P”. Only list ensemble pieces in which you had a featured solo or principal part.
5. Once the College of the Arts receives this supplemental application and confirms that you have applied to the university, you will receive confirmation of your audition date via email. Please be sure to provide us with an email address that you use on a regular basis. If you are a current KSU student, this email, and all future communication from the College of the Arts will be sent to your student email account
College of the Arts Admissions Coordinator: Christine Collins, email@example.com. | 770.423.6614
7. Portfolio Requirements for Composition (B.A. in Music)
In addition to completing an audition on a principal applied instrument following the requirements detailed above, applicants to the B.A. in Music with a concentration in composition must submit a portfolio consisting of 2 to 3 compositions representing your best work, and demonstrating substance and variety. A CD of performances or MIDI realizations of the works is recommended, but not required. Composition portfolios must be submitted in hard copy along with this application by the deadlines for your desired audition date.
NOTE: The B.A. in Music: Composition is intended for students writing classical concert-hall music and is not intended for the pursuit of rock, pop, folk, jazz, contemporary Christian, or hip-hop styles.
Once you have been accepted to KSU, you can apply for scholarships at www.kennesaw.edu/scholarships. Your completed application will search for any and all scholarships that you may be qualified for.
To also be considered for a music scholarship: complete the scholarship application, and complete an audition on one of the audition dates in February or March.
Music scholarship recipients will be notified via email by the COTA Office of Admissions and Student Services in mid April.